The Occupancy Parking API is used in conjunction with the Off-Street Data or On-Street Data APIs to display or update historical occupancy.
What is the difference between occupancy and probability
Occupancy is a concept of the “fullness” of a lot.
- It can be represented in Spaces Available, Percent available, or Full/Not Full
Probability is the likelihood that a single space is available
- It can be represent as Percent or High/Medium/Low
Where should I use each one?
- Imagine a street in New York with 40 spaces total
- A parking sensor tells us there is a space available right now
- The occupancy would tell the user that there is limited parking on the street
- The probability would tell the user the likelihood of a space being able when they arrive
- In general, probability is more useful for street parking and occupancy is more useful for garage parking
If supplying the lat and lng, the user must be within two miles of the specified Feature (Lot).
Please define the usage of the “occupancyPct” fields.
- occIndex: High-Medium-Low represented as 1-4 (where available)
- occAvail: Number of spaces (where available)
- occStartDate: Start Date isoformat (where available)
- occPct: Percent (where available)
- occFull: Boolean Full / not Full
Other Occupancy Fields:
- Start Date - Datetime when an occupancy observation will begin.
- Percent - The percentage occupied inside the facility.
- Available - The calculated amount of available parking spots.
- Probability - The likelihood of finding a parking spot within the facility.
- Bucket - Depicts a range of where the lot’s percent occupied sits, aka:
- 1: 0% - 55% spots taken
- 2: 55% - 80% spots taken
- 3: 80% - 98% spots taken
- 4: 98% - 100% spots taken, effectively full
- Rank - The source’s “rank”, or trustworthiness, eg:
- 1: Historical - Previous reading/s at this time
- 2: Prediction - Using historical data, the predicted estimate
- 3: Automated - An automated feed that informs our system of the faciliy’s occupancy.
- 4: Satellite Counts - Manually counted satellite photos of lot occupancy.
- 5: Manual Updates - Changes made by lot walkers and operators in the dashboard.